Friday, October 31, 2014

Christmas layer cake

Third of the four quilts delivered last Thursday which has now been collected by it's maker. A great use of a layer cake for a lovely finish.


Again I used the Vine B2B pattern by Anna Bright which didn't overwhelm the piecing.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Another first quilt finished

Another fabulous first quilt - this time by Barbara for her 3 year old grandson. This was all hand blanket stitched and bondawebbed down first. I love the way Barbara has used stripes so cleverly on the boat hulls and sails.

I used a pantograph called Tickle which gives the feeling of splashes of water. I used Sew Fine in off white and this meant the quilting didn't overwhelm the lovely applique.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival ROYGBIV
My second entry into the Blogger's Quilt Festival is another bee quilt and I've chosen it because it was a popular quilt at Fat Quarterly Retreat. It was made to donate to the charity Siblings Together and used 2.5" squares in a rainbow of colours, each bee member made two blocks with the star randomly placed. It was made for a child and fits the brief well.

The binding was made from my box of 2.5" scrap strips and roughly follows the rainbow around the quilt. The binding was adhered to the back of the quilt with Steam a seam and then machine stitched down from the front.
The quilt was quilted on my long arm with a pattern called Allium on a Tula Pink backing.
Do go and have a look at all of the entries on Amy's blog. Voting starts on 1 November.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival scrappy quilt
Having just finished binding this quilt today, I thought I'd enter it in the Blogger's Quilt Festival in the scrappy category. Many of the blocks were made for me by members of Hive #5 of The Stash Bee. The design is the popular Japanese X and + block and I asked for warm colours for the points, black crosses, texty white backgrounds and turquoise ends.
I love all of the different fabrics. Many of which I'd not seen before. I particularly liked the New York cityscape which I understand can only be purchased at The City Quilter.
 And one of the fabrics I used was Sweetwater's Sew text fabric.

I used a new Border to Border quilt pattern called Vine by Anna Bright which I was very pleased with and I have used it on a recent client quilt too.

The backing is a Robert Kaufman wide screen print from Fat Quarter Shop bought in their recent promotion and I love it as the binding too. It really hides the joins on the sashing.

If you're in need of a pick me up, do visit Amy's blog to view all of the quilt's entered into the competition. Mine is in the scrappy quilts category and voting starts on1 November.

Another first quilt

Two customers collected three quilts in total on Friday, so time to get another quilt on the machine. This quilt is 110 inches long.

I am using a pattern called tickle which reminds me of splashes of water and is best quilted up the quilt. I'm not sure it will be finished before we leave for our next trip, but I will do my best between other commitments.

I have offered Jane the opportunity to use the machine whilst I'm away so I think she's expecting the frame to be empty. :)

Friday, October 24, 2014

Patriotic nine patch

Have you discovered how useful trouser hangers are for keeping your ironed backings and quilt tops wrinkle free? This is Fiona's first quilt, but not her last, which I quilted with a meandering star pattern to pick up the stars in the fabric. The quilt has the look of Ralph Lauren to me.

This was one of four quilts delivered to me yesterday, so I have a busy few weeks ahead of me, as well as a trip to London and Berlin. I managed to squeeze one of my own quilts in, which I will hand stitch the binding on tonight.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Spider's web

Another stunning quilt is finished for a client and ready for collection. I've quilted a traditional Baptist fab over all of the quilt.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Amitie mystery BOM 2014

I bet Claire was shocked when I told her what I'd purchased. Jen Kingwell's style is so outside by comfort zone, hand pieced too. However I thought it would be a good project for Wednesday mornings and travelling and would stretch me. Jen doesn't press her blocks either, which is one step too far for me. Having taken a class with Jen at fat Quarterly retreat, I took the plunge.
Hadley blogged that hers arrived earlier in the week so I guessed she was in group 1 and I'm in group 2 so ours comes a week later. Yesterday I saw on facebook that the mail order section of Amitie in Australia was suddenly closed for ten days, so I thought I'd have to wait until next month, but my kit arrived yesterday and here it is.
Very eclectic and the first block is about 6" in size, so should be doable for my first foray into hand piecing. i now have to find all of the tools I took to FQR as the quarter inch tracing wheel is in the wallet along with the correct needles.